Skip to content

How Much Does Tom Hanks Make Per Hour?

If my memory and tax records serve me correctly, I earned $5.75 per hour at my first job, which was approximately 30 years ago. Although I can’t recall the exact job title, it was something in the food service industry. What I do remember vividly is that I wasn’t pursuing a career as an actor. In fact, the thought of becoming an actor was the furthest thing from my mind when I punched in and out for my first shift. Perhaps, if I had known how much a budding actor could potentially earn per hour, I might have quit my job on the spot and enrolled at the local community college to be Hamlet (or, more likely, Guildenstern).

So, the question is: How much am I missing out on? How much more money could an actor make per hour than a Marketing Director.

In other words: How much does Tom Hanks make per hour?

To estimate this, we’ll make some assumptions. First, let’s assume that 90% of Tom Hanks’ earnings come from the top 10 movies where he received the highest payments.

  1. Forrest Gump (1994) – $70 million
  2. Angels & Demons (2009) – $50 million
  3. Saving Private Ryan (1998) – $40 million​​.
  4. You’ve Got Mail (1998) – $20 million​​.
  5. The Green Mile (1999) – $20 million​​.
  6. Cast Away (2000) – $20 million​​.
  7. The Da Vinci Code (2006) – $18 million
  8. Toy Story 4 (2018) – $15 million​​.
  9. Captain Phillips (2013) – $15 million​​.
  10. Toy Story 3 (2010) – $15 million​​.

We’ll focus solely on his acting income, excluding endorsement deals and production company profits. This 90% amounts to approximately $283 million. But that’s just 90% of the total. The remaining 10% of his acting income, which includes work in movies outside the top 10, adds another $32 million, resulting in an estimated total of $315 million in earnings from acting.

To calculate Tom Hanks’ hourly rate, we need to determine how many hours he actively worked on the movies he was cast in.

Let’s assume that a typical Tom Hanks movie takes around 3 months to film, with production occurring 5 days a week for 10 hours a day (although it can vary). This would mean Tom Hanks is “on set” for approximately 600 hours of production. However, he isn’t present for every setup, so we need to discount this by 20% to account for shooting days he is not involved in. Additionally, we need to factor in pre-production time, including learning the script, rehearsing, workouts, dialect work, and other preparations. Let’s estimate an average of 2 months of pre-production work at 5 days a week for 4 hours a day, adding another 160 hours to the total.

In total, the average number of hours worked as an actor on a big-budget movie is approximately 640. When we consider his top 10 movies, this amounts to 6400 hours (representing 90% of his hours worked). After including the remaining 10% of hours worked, we arrive at a lifetime working average of 7111 hours actively spent in the role of an actor.

Now, all that’s left to do is divide his total income by his total hours worked. Regrettably, I must inform you that, with 100% accuracy, Tom Hanks earns approximately $44,297 per hour for his acting services.

Aaron Robbins' career spans over two decades, marked by roles in both creative and strategic marketing. He has excelled in driving revenue growth, leading rebranding efforts, and pioneering AI-based communication systems. Aaron’s expertise covers a broad spectrum, from managing marketing teams to developing curriculum for digital storytelling. His tenure includes significant contributions as an Executive Producer, Director of Marketing, and Chief Creative Officer. His professional journey is characterized by a unique blend of storytelling prowess, strategic vision, and technical proficiency in cutting-edge media solutions.