The Ash Mountain sign located near the entrance to Sequoia National Park was designed by Harold G. Fowler and sculpted by George W. Munro in 1935. The sign is made from a single piece of sequoia that fell in the Giant Forest area of the park. It remained unpainted until the 1950’s and was moved to its current location in the 60’s. A small crew from the Civilian Conservation Corps, a work relief program for unemployed and unmarried men and part of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s “New Deal”, helped construct the sign. The Ash Mountain sign is one of the most photographed objects in Sequoia National Park.